History & Purpose
The National Center for Pre-Faculty Development was conceptualized after reflecting with BNGAP members at the 10th Anniversary Celebration on BNGAPs next innovation to diversity academic medicine. Launched July 1, 2020 the Center provides a new formal structure to guide and lead academic health centers, national organizations, and community-based organizations as they collectively focus on Pre-Faculty Development as a means to diversifying academia. The concept of Pre-Faculty Development is defined as “providing trainees with foundational self-efficacy, knowledge, skills, and experiences to be successfully appointed, and eventually promoted and tenured within an academic institution (Sánchez JP and Williams V, 2019.)”
Resources provided by the center to member entities include:
- Access to Academic Career Development Seminars and webinars to help diverse trainees (from college student level to fellows) gain greater awareness of, interest in, and preparedness for academic careers.
- Opportunities for member entities to post ads in the BNGAP monthly e-Newsletter related to career, employment, and funding opportunities and upcoming events. Additionally, they can highlight their trainees, staff, and faculty who are leading pre-faculty development efforts.
- Enrollment in the Academic Medicine Writing Fellowship for Tier 2 and Tier 3 members. The fellowship guides fellows in publishing medical education content.
- Heightened Visibility as a pre-faculty development leader.
- Networking opportunities with other trainees, faculty, and administrators dedicated to diversifying academic medicine through pre-faculty development.
- Leadership development for trainees, faculty and administrators so that they may become for effective leaders of pre-faculty development at their institution, and on the regional and national levels.
If you are interested in becoming a member of the National Center for Pre-Faculty Development please contact J.P. Sánchez MD, MPH, President, BNGAP Inc. at BNGAPinc@gmail.com
The 25 2020 – 2021 Center Leaders and Logos (FY21)
The 25 Center Leaders and Logos (FY22)
Albany Medical College
Asian Pacific American Medical Student Association
Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine
Kansas Health Science Center
Latino Medical Student Association
Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine
Medical Student Pride Alliance
McGovern Medical School
New York Medical College Office of Diversity and Inclusion
Oklahoma University College of Medicine
Pritzker School of Medicine, The University of Chicago
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine – Southern Utah Campus
School of Medicine – Universidad Central del Caribe
Stanford School of Medicine, Center of Excellence in Diversity in Medical Education (COEDME)
Student National Medical Association
University of Arizona College of Medicine – Tucson Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
University of California Davis School of Medicine
University of California Riverside School of Medicine
University of Kentucky College of Medicine
University of New Mexico Health Sciences/School of Medicine
University of Utah Health
Western Michigan University -Homer Stryker MD School of Medicine
2020-2021 Academic Medicine Writing Fellows
2021-2022 Journal Article Discussion
PREFAC Journal Article Discussion Webinars
2020 Support Team National Center for Pre-Faculty Development