Sixth Annual LGBT Health Workforce Conference Awards Application
In celebration of the 6th Anniversary of the LGBT Health Workforce Conference of BNGAP, the executive committee is allotting three awards to recognize entities (two individuals and one organization/institution) that have led in the development of the LGBT Health Workforce. The awards highlight entities that have exhibited commitment, scholarship, and dedication to the development of a health workforce that is responsive to the unique health issues and disparities of LGBT communities. Applicants should describe how their efforts, either through exceptional educational, clinical, research and/or service-related activities are innovative and meet the needs of the most vulnerable in the LGBT community.
Junior Leadership Award, recognizes an individual that as a health-related graduate school trainee (enrolled anytime after August 2013) has led activities to promote the development of a health workforce responsive to the needs of LGBT communities.
Health Professional Leadership Award, recognizes an individual that as a health-related professional has led activities to promote the development of a health workforce responsive to the needs of LGBT communities.
Organizational/Institutional Leadership Award, recognizes a health-related organization/institution that has led activities to promote the development of a health workforce responsive to the needs of LGBT communities.
Applications due January 15, 2018, 5:00pm E.S.T.
Please send application and supporting materials as .pdf to Cheryl Brewster EdD, Associate Dean for Diversity, Florida International University. Please email Iliana Lindsay with the materials at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please address all questions to:
Cheryl Brewster EdD,
Associate Dean for Diversity,
Florida International University College of Medicine
Nominees will be judged on the following criteria:
- Strength and breadth of applicant’s activities in building the LGBT Health Workforce
- Evaluation of activities demonstrates significant benefits towards building the LGBT Health Workforce
- Activities developed in response to the unique health issues and disparities of the LGBT community
- Evidence of inter-professional work
- Evidence of the inclusion of women, underrepresented racial and ethnic minorities, and LGBT individuals in the described activities
- Evidence of research, education, clinical, or service related work related to building the LGBT Health Workforce
- Innovativeness of activities
- Evidence of sustainability of activities
Guidelines for Entry
Must by enrolled as a member of BNGAP before January 15, 2018 (Enroll for FREE at http://bngap.org/registration/). Primary applicant must be a paid, nonrefundable registrant for the conference by January 15, 2018.
The nomination package must include:
- The contact page by the primary applicant/point person (individuals may self-nominate) which includes full name (first and last name), telephone number, email address, award applying for (Junior, Health Professional, Organizational/Institutional), on letterhead and signed (not to exceed more than one page – 1.5 spaced, 1 inch margins, 12 font Times New Roman).
- A letter signed by the applicant’s graduate school Dean/organizational president or CEO in support of the application (not to exceed more than one page – 1.5 spaced, 1 inch margins, 12 font Times New Roman)
- A narrative description (not to exceed five pages – 1.5 spaced, 1 inch margins, 12 font Times New Roman) of the nominee’s activities, including:
- The history of the applicant’s activities, outcomes, impact, and challenges in promoting a LGBT Health Workforce
- How they facilitated the inclusion of women, underrepresented racial and ethnic minorities, and/or LGBT individuals in the development, implementation and/or evaluation of activities
- How the LGBT Health Workforce Conference and/or other BNGAP activities helped them in achieving their activities
- A description of how the activities are inter-professional
- A description of how the activities are funded
- A description of how the activities have been sustained
- A modest selection of up to three media forms highlighting activities (publications, newspaper clippings, etc.)
- For the trainee and provider application please include CV (this is not included in the 10 pages nomination package)
- The nomination package may not exceed 10 pages in a .pdf (not including their CV).
- The nomination package is to be mailed to Dr. Brewster by the applicant’s graduate school Dean/organizational president or CEO who has written the letter of support.
The winners of the award will be notified by March 1, 2018. The winners will be recognized at the 6th Anniversary Awards Dinner on Friday, May 4, 2018, recognized in the program booklet, and provided two free tickets to attend Anniversary Celebration. Unfortunately we are unable to provide financial support for the flight, hotel, or any other expenses associated with participating at the conference or celebration.